1850: Site of future Church bought
“…Don Bosco had the notary Turvano draw up a deed for the purchase of a triangular-shaped lot, measuring about 28,800 square feet, which was then used as vegetable garden. It belonged to the Turin seminary, to which Don Bosco paid 7,500 lire. After subsequent business transactions, this lot now contains the church of Mary Help of Christians, a print shop, and an adjacent playground. (BM IV, 87) In 1854 Don Bosco was obliged to sell it to Rosmini for lack of money. But he re-acquired it definitively on 11 February 1863.
1852: Church of St. Francis of Sales blessed
This was the first church built by Don Bosco. The pastor of SS. Simon and Jude, Father Augustine Gattino,blessed the church and then celebrated the first Mass during which he delivered an inspiring address. (BM Iv, 305)
1927: Mond Made Cardinal
Mgr. Hlond, archbishop of Poznan and Primate of Poland, was made cardinal by Pope Pius XI. The new Cardinal was only 46 years old and was the youngest member of the sacred College. (cfr. CDB, 239)
No Tips to Display