August 18

1855: Calvinists converted

In its issue of August 27, 1855, L’Armonia carried gratifying news: …On Sunday, August 18, in the church of the Oratory of St. Francis de Sales, two Calvinists – father and son – returned to the Roman Catholics Faith from which their ancestors had unfortunately strayed. Marquis Dominic Fassati and his wife Mary, nee De Maistre, were godparents.” (BM v, 218)

1880: House search again

On 18th, a city official and a squad of police descended on the Oratory printshop and ordered all hands to remain at their posts. while guards took up strategic positions. The search began. Don Bosco came to know the reason through the past-pupil of the Oratory employed at the civil court at Borgo Dora: …the house search had been prompted by two anonymous letters alleging that secret publications were being run off by the Oratory presses. One copy of the above letter carries a note of Father Berto stating that the whole thing seems to have been master-minded by Canon Colomiatti…Whatever the magistrate replied to Don Bosco’s letter, the charges apparently never reached the courts. (BM XIV, 419)

1884: Immune from cholera

The salesians and their pupils were preserved from cholera in France. thanks to the three means suggested by Don Bosco: viz. Communion. the invocation, “Mary Help of Christians” and the medal of Our Lady. (cfr. MB XVI, 656, MB XVII, 241) 

Share this:

  • 00

    days

  • 00

    hours

  • 00

    minutes

  • 00

    seconds

Daily Tip

No Tips to Display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *